8.09.2006

Everything in Moderation

The interfaith convocation (lacking Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu voices) for WorldPride has been held at the campus of HUC (the reform rabbinical seminary) in Jerusalem. They have been the optimal hosts and speaks so well of the Reform movement’s commitment to GLBT people. It has been impressive and I have been grateful to them for taking the lead.

When we arrived just on time to begin, the last panel had not yet finished. I gathered the speakers together, two of who were from my group, Rev Leanne Tigert (a UCC pastor, psychotherapist, author and professor) and Rev. Joseph Tolton, the founder of Harlem’s first GLBT church which is Pentecostal and progressive. Joining them was Rev. Pat Bumgardner from MCC NYC and Rabbi Ayelet Cohen, the assistant at CBST in NYC. I explained to them that it was my goal to maximize audience participation and that I was going to limit their times towards that end. This was agreed upon by all but then several people felt like they needed to tell me how to moderate.


I think sometimes there is an infantilization of younger rabbis by older rabbis. Also, I can’t help but feel like there is a thirst for starshine or to be seen as “THE LEADER” of the LGBT civil rights faith struggle and so people don’t engage with each other as colleagues but as potential competition. For the most part we are all good folks with good intent doing good work—there is a great deal more outreach to each other that would benefit both ourselves and the GLBT movement.

Perhaps it is because for many of us the struggle has been an isolated and individual one that has been lonely. It is sink or swim in many ways or at the least sink or obey your elders. While I regularly learn from my GLBT colleagues, especially other rabbis, I don’t always find it refreshing or possible to let my guard down. Furthermore, we could (myself included) practice our Tzimtzum, a mystical concept of diminishing the space one takes up. This is in order to make room for something else to emerge like God did in order for creation to form in a mystical framework. However, it is hard to banish a well entrenched sense of hierarchy that most people are comfortable with having.

The panelists spoke about liturgical and ritual innovation and tradition from their perspectives. Ayelet spoke about CBST’s new siddur that is in the works. It sounds like a phenomenal project that will have great ramifications and serve as a powerful Jewish liturgical resource. In particular she spoke of something that a few folks found troubling, but I loved, which was changing some of the verses in l’cha dodi to remove the reference to groom and bride. I eagerly await its printing.

During the questions, which we got to because people kept to their time as I gently nudged them, I was able to speak about the Pride Seder and our ability to include allies and transgendered people in the narrative of our liberation. Before wrapping up I received a note that Exodus, the straight to gay org was present and that I should welcome them in order to notify them. I did at the end saying that our values is to welcome all people in the image of God and that we should hope that they and we are treated with that framework as the beginning. Though we might not agree on things, that their presence should be respectful and also treated as respectful with those that they engage with and that hopefully it will be a learning experience for them.

Afterwards, it was as if I had won an Olympic event called the Uphill Moderation. People were effusive with their praise on the running of the panel. Despite their initial concern, I was told that I was the guy for the job in the future. Don’t worry I didn’t let the compliments get to my head, mostly because I believe in all things in moderation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home